Public Space is demarcated as the publicly owned property between the property lines on a street. Space includes roadways, trees, sidewalks, and lanes. Some of the public space usages need a permit from Public Space Management, functioned by DDOT’s Public Space Regulations Division. However, the Permits for the Public Space are approved in the District, by the Planning & Sustainability Division, under definite circumstances.
Let’s have a look at the requisites of public space permits in DC:
- It is a pre-requisite for the people who are frequently carrying out public space excavation and manhole work to provide plans once every two weeks, showing their projected activities in the public space within the time of two-week.
- There will be no work execution if the applicant, or the person on whose behalf the application is made, has outstanding renewal in the public space. The restriction will also apply to the applicants with provisional maintenances that have failed and the applicant did not carry out restoration within 24 hours of notice by the Office of Infrastructure Oversight.
- Permanent renovations should be completed before the winter suspension period, from November 1 through March 31.
- DC Law Underground Facilities Protection Act (1980) necessitates contacting at least 48-hours & not exceeding 10 days (excepting Saturdays, Sundays & Legal Holidays) before the onset of the excavation process, so that notification can be made for partaking in private utility companies of the projected work.
- Inappropriate housekeeping defilements on job sites about dirt and debris in the public space should be the grounds for a fine of $500.00 per block every day and cancelation of the building permit.
- Accredited work should be as per the safety requirements for excavation as stated in the DC Department of Transportation Standard Specifications for Highways & Structures.
- Work authorized by the permit should be as per the requirements stated in FHWA “Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices” and the traffic control devices should be arranged according to the approved Traffic Control Plans for the project.
- Access to alleys, driveways, & roads must be maintained at all times. The Traffic Services Administration & Fire Marshall should approve any closure of the rights-of-way and the permit should reflect this approval.
- Six feet sidewalk access should be upheld at all times so that the Traffic Services Administration can accept closures of the rights-of-way, reflecting the permit approval.
- All cobblestone pavers should be removed and salvaged by the contractor in association with excavation. The contractor should secure and store materials at his own expense and reinstall all materials considered special or historic as directed by District Engineers.
- Streetlight, as well as traffic signal cables, should be protected at all times.
- Equipment and supply cannot be stored in a public space without a permit authorizing it.
- Parking of non-commercial & private vehicles is forbidden in the public space subject to the public space permit.
- Access to street parking should be available at all times while work is not permitted.
- The contractor must inform the Traffic Services Administration before the start of the work.
- In case the work zone affects metered parking spaces to prevent the free flow of traffic, the meters should be rented from the Meter Branch of Parking Services. The permit holder must contact the Meter Branch after identifying this impact. 10 business days are required for processing requests.
- The Office of Infrastructure Oversight must be informed 48 hours before the commencement of the work.
- Not more than 1200 feet should be excavated at a time.
- The permit holder must repair failed cuts within 24 hours of notice by the District Department of Transportation, Office of Infrastructure Oversight.
- Inform the Office of Infrastructure Oversight 5 days before the commencement of restoration building through fax.
Tejjy Inc – One of the competent BIM,Best architectural design firm,Basement Underpinning drawings and permit,Condo conversion architectural drawing,Condo renovation permit drawings,blueprint drafting company,structural design firm,structural engineers,Structural BIM services,tenant fit in,kitchen remodeling permit drawings,home renovation drawings Washington DC,Commercial Drafting & Design Service,CAD Drafting & Design,E&S permit,excavation permit,patio permit,Electrical permit drawings services in in Washington DC, VA, MD and Baltimore area.